Lexotanil (Bromazepam) 3mg by Roche:
Lexotanil contains the active ingredient bromazepam.
Lexotanil belongs to a group of medicines called benzodiazepines. They are thought to work by their action on brain chemicals.
Lexotanil is used for anxiety, tension or agitation. Anxiety or tension associated with the normal stress of everyday life usually does not require treatment with medicines.
Do not take Lexotanil if:
1. you have had an allergic reaction to LEXOTANIL, other benzodiazepines or any ingredients listed at the end of this leaflet
- Some of the symptoms of an allergic reaction may include:
- shortness of breath
- wheezing or difficulty breathing
- swelling of the face, lips, tongue or other parts of the body
- rash, itching or hives on the skin
2. you have severe and chronic lung disease
3. you have severe liver disease
4. you suffer from sleep apnoea (temporary stops in breathing during sleep)
5. you have muscle weakness known as myasthenia gravis
6. the package is torn or shows signs of tampering
7. the expiry date (EXP) printed on the pack has passed.
If you take this medicine after the expiry date has passed, it may not work as well.
Before you start to take Lexotanil:
Tell your Doctor if:
1. you are pregnant or plan to become pregnant
Lexotanil is not recommended for use in pregnant women. Your doctor will discuss the risks and benefits of using it if you are pregnant or plan to become pregnant.
2. you are breast-feeding or plan to breast-feed
Lexotanil passes into breast milk and therefore there is a possibility that the breast-fed baby may be affected. LEXOTANIL is not recommended for use while breast-feeding.
3. you have any other health problems, especially the following:
- liver, kidney or lung disease
- high or low blood pressure
- you suffer from depression, psychosis or schizophrenia
- you suffer from fits or convulsions (epilepsy)
- you have high pressure in the eye (glaucoma).
4. you drink alcohol regularly
Alcohol may increase the effects of Lexotanil.
5. you are lactose intolerant
6. you are allergic to any other medicines, foods, dyes or preservatives.
If you have not told your doctor about any of the above, tell them before you start taking Lexotanil.
The dose varies from person to person depending on age and the condition being treated. The usual dose is between 6 - 12 mg daily. Elderly patients may need to take less. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the dose you missed and take your next dose when you are meant to. Otherwise, take it as soon as you remember and then go back to taking it as you would normally. Do not try to make up for the dose that you missed by taking more than one dose at a time.
LEXOTANIL helps most people with anxiety but it may have unwanted side effects in a few people. All medicines can have side effects. Sometimes they are serious, most of the time they are not. You may need medical treatment if you get some of the side effects.
- drowsiness, tiredness
- unpleasant dreams
- muscle weakness
- Do not drive or operate machinery until you know how LEXOTANIL affects you.
- LEXOTANIL may cause drowsiness or dizziness in some people and therefore may affect alertness.
- Make sure you know how you react to LEXOTANIL before you drive a car, operate machinery, or do anything else that could be dangerous if you are drowsy, dizzy or not alert.
- Even if you take LEXOTANIL at night, you may still be drowsy or dizzy the next day.
- Do not take LEXOTANIL for a longer time than your doctor has prescribed.
- LEXOTANIL should be taken for short periods only (for example 2 to 4 weeks), unless advised otherwise by your doctor.
- Do not change your dose without first checking with your doctor.
- Do not stop taking LEXOTANIL or lower the dose, without first checking with your doctor.
- Stopping this medicine suddenly may cause some unwanted effects. Your doctor will explain how you should slowly reduce your dose of LEXOTANIL before you can stop taking it completely.
- Do not suddenly stop taking LEXOTANIL if you suffer from epilepsy.
- Suddenly stopping this medicine may make your epilepsy worse.
- Do not give LEXOTANIL to anyone else even if they have the same condition as you.
- Do not use LEXOTANIL to treat other complaints unless your doctor says to.